Wednesday, September 9, 2009

One Year Ago...

I was in Singapore. I had waited a whole summer before finally deciding to pack up my bags and go for a month before school started. It was pretty crazy, probably one of the most adventurous things that I've ever done in my life. I literally ordered my ticket on a Sunday and left the next day. It was labor day weekend.

Can I just say, I had the time of my life there, even though I was traveling alone and to live on a budget and not wanting to share bathrooms or room (in case I can't trust everyone), I chose to live in a hotel in the red light district of Singapore than to live in a hostel. Looking back, I should've just stayed in a hostel, I would've met more people and could travel around together only to eat more food and have more variety. = ) I am all about having variety when I eat, I want to try everything and eat everything! Luckily I did have a friend and an acquaintance that was there at the time, so I met up with them for a day or two. I had to try everything, especially when I traveled half way around the world to get to this place! I think this was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made, although it was "financially irresponsible" as Chef Lon would put it. It was better to travel and ate well with the money and be happy with it, than investing in the stock market at that time and have all your investments reduced down to practically ZERO and be upset and regretful. I am now happy and living with no regrets with that decision of going away for a month.

Here are pictures to show how happy I was, I look at these pictures now and wish that I was back there again! Well most pics are of food! That is what makes me happy!


This was at Food Republic, it is a food court type of place located in Vivo City. That's the array of food that I tried with Angela Lin and her dad! = )
(On the table, starting from top left corner going clockwise, Popiah- it is a thin crepe like layer wrapped around all sorts of ingredients such as daikon, jicama, cabbage, bean sprouts, tofu, peanuts, chinese sausage and etc, Stir-fried Turnip (carrot)cake, it's these little carrot cakes cut into cubes sauteed with soy sauce, scallions eggs, chinese sausage and something else, Singapore Laksa, this is some ridiculously good curry goodness! it's noodles, with curry broth, fish cake, shrimp and fried tofu, Assorted Fried Goods, can't really remember what I picked, but the rice noodles came with it (sorry), Indian Mee Goreng, noodle dish with shrimp, chicken, meat, spicy sauce and squeeze of lime, Bak Kut Teh, a soup made with meat bones, pork, cinnamon, clove, garlic, fennel seeds and other spices and herbs. It's something the Singaporeans drink all the time adapted from Hokkien or Teochow people.


Outside Vivo City after a delicious meal! Tummy full of yummy food = Happy Angela



At the Lion Mermaid thing in Singapore.




At one of the more historical hawker centers in Singapore, Lau Pat Sat. Hawker centers are where most people eat in Singapore, cheap and good!



Satays... my favorite! I love things on a stick, they have rice cake for you to dip into the sauce too! Peanuty Goodness!

Okay I have to go to bed now. I will update later this week with more pics. Hong Kong entries to come too!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Just a note to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your blog. I really get a sense of who you are and how much you enjoy food and travel. I hope you will keep it up. It shows that you are a committed writer.

    Best of luck,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete