Friday, February 6, 2009

Let the Countdown Begin!

So I started this blog on February 5th, 2009 to mark the count down to my graduation for the Culinary Institute of America a year from this date, which will be February 5th, 2010, if you haven't figured that one out yet. I've been thinking a lot about what I should do or will do after graduation. With economy this bad it's hard to look for a job even as a chef. You read that restaurants like Le Cirque, Nougatine and all these other places are offering some kind of deal to eat at their restaurant. 21 Club for the first time and the last ones to not require men to wear ties just to draw more business in.

(twirling my thumbs) What to do? What to do? I hope to either be in one of the following categories after graduation: personal chef, working for a magazine (research and development or food writing), behind the scenes of food network, work for Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations, move to Asia and find a job there or work for a catering company. I know this is a random assortment of opportunities and jobs, but I am interested in all. HEY! Who said I can't divide and conquer? Or divide and explore? ; 1 So this blog is going to be for me to practice some food writing... whether it be things that I make/experiment, things that I eat or try or just interesting articles on food and opportunities I will encounter within this next year.

We will see what this year will lead me to as I finish up my bachelors degree here at the Culinary Institute of America. It has taken me more than the average 4 years (let's say 9 years?, better late than never!) to figure out what I want to do and get this Bachelors Degree and even now I still don't exactly have something specific other than dealing with food.

My hopefully soon-to-be adventure (I know people usually say soon-to-be husband or whatever, this is just as importante to me!) would be going to Italy with my school for the Food and Wine Seminar. It is somewhat like a class here, it's very competitive to get in. There is an application process and the committee members review the applications, recommendation, essay, resume and GPA then they decide who is going and who is not! Let's hope that I will be going! I am quite excited!

So until this weekend when I am going to attempt to make some Korean cuisine... this is it for now! Hope you guys will embark on this countdown/journey/culinary adventure with me.... after all if you are my friend (or a random reader), hopefully we must have something in common... A big part of life and this blog is "for the love of food"!

1 comment: