Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Still waiting...

It's been more than a month since graduation. I am still waiting to hear from NYU. I also have a prospective job in HK! = ) EXCITING! My friend and I have been throwing around the idea of backpacking Southeast Asia this Summer for a month. I am REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THAT, if it really does happen (hence the all caps). I love the cuisine of Southeast Asia. I think it will definitely be a good experience to be connected with the culture through this adventure.

I have been randomly cooking for friends and family. So for now I leave you with a recipe that is Southeast Asia-ish.

"Asian Cioppino", as I called it. Red Seafood Curry Stew- served 5 girls with lots of leftover.



1 T vegetable oil
3 stalks of lemongrass, pounded and chopped
1/2 inch ginger, peeled and minced
2 shallots, peeled and minced
2 bunches of beech mushrooms (or vegetable of choice)
1 small can of red curry paste
Juice of 3 coconuts and 1/4 can of coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk
2 bags of mussels, peeled
12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 big scallops, muscle peeled and seared on both sides till nice golden color.
2-3 each thai preserved sausage, sliced on bias
Fish Sauce, to taste
Chicken/Seafood stock optional
Scallions and lime for garnish

1) Heat oil in a big pot, add lemongrass stir till fragrant. Add ginger and shallots and stir till fragrant.
2) Add in curry paste stir till oil extracts, add coconut milk/juice. Let it come to a simmer then add mushrooms.
3) Layer in the shrimp, mussels and sausage. Add enough liquid such as seafood stock/chicken stock or water to cover most of the seafood. Add fish sauce to taste. Cover with lid for 5- 10 mins.
4) As mussels open take them out into a serving bowl, so they won't over cook. Place seared scallop in liquid and continue to cook for a few more minutes till all the seafood is cooked through. I didn't put the scallops in for that long, just for a little flavor from the liquid. Shut off the fire, and scoop the rest of the cioppino into the bowl, placed the seared scallops on top and garnish with chopped scallions or cilantro.
5) Serve with lime on the side to squeeze some juice into each individual portion.
6) Serve with toasted baguette, roti, rice or french fries.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. I told J about the cioppino and that he should emulate you. He just laughed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. FCI is nothing compared to the good ol CIA!Hard for him to not just shrug it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A strike to the ego, I say...

    ReplyDelete