Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Hot & Humid Hong Kong

So I have been in HK for a few days now.  Almost a week.  I have been busy looking for flats (in the US they call it apartments).  I have finally put a deposit down for one.  In terms of size compared to NY, I didn't think an apartment can get any smaller!  They can be smaller than NYC Chinatown apartments.

And for now I have traveled to Vietnam, home of one of my most favorite cuisines! I am waiting for my friend Eve to come along. So we can go cross the crazy streets together.  I am tempted to just go out and grab some grub without her, I have to find a place that does not require me to cross the street though.  It is quite scary.  The cab driver had to cross the street with me! Pretty pathetic eh?!

Hopefully my appetite will be better since I am vacationing.  Since I have been in Hong Kong my appetite has not been the same.  I am obviously not on a mission to eat everything in the world of Hong Kong anymore since I will be there for two years!  It's been really hot and humid, which is typical in Hong Kong.  Maybe that is the cause of the lost of appetite.

I have however tried some new things and they are pretty good.  Just because I don't have as big of an appetite does not mean that I will fail myself of some good eats!

fish skin with scallions and ginger


black bean and pepper goose intestines!

curry beef stew, this is from a place called Hong Kong Dai Pai Dong, 
supposedly owned by some famous people.


my favorite, hui lau san, first time for the next two years!

 
Hong Kong people eat Cheow Chow food a lot.  They call it Da Lang.  This is their country style goose, breast meat sliced up! It's yummy but not worth the price for a few slices, depending on the restaurant.

 
fish cooked at the table with a milky vegetable broth


 
clams with black bean sauce

 
ginger and scallion crab

 
"fon sa woo" this place is known for this dish.

Basically it's fried chunks of taro cooked with granulated sugar that has been melted, you keep tossing and turning it until it because a granulated texture again and is adhesive to the taro.

I am ready for some good eats in Vietnam! Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. For someone who doesn't have an appetite, that sure is a lot of food...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was in a course of 3-4 days,hahahaha, plus I was eating with other people you know...Don't worry, my appetite is back now!

    ReplyDelete